Yippee, Its finally finished and on my daughter's bed. She is so happy. Her name for the quilt is "Pretty Hello Kitty".
I will be adding a label to the back and making at least one pillowcase to compliment the quilt.
This was a challenging project. Not that the sewing was difficult. But that it took a leap of faith to try a new technique that used such large strips of fabric that you sewed on to the block, and then slashed off half of it. Also, I find it hard when I have to be trimming over sized blocks. I consider any block over 12 1/2 inches in considered over sized. Then there was a added challenge of using the hankies which ranged in size from 9 inches up to 15 inches. eeks. On top of that they weren't perfectly square. arg.
I have included two close up pictures to show the machine quilting. I used a variegated pink/red cotton thread. It turned out to be the perfect choice. All the quilting was done freehand on a regular sewing machine.