The first pic shows the block that I made for last evening for the meeting of my local guild. It's called 'Courthouse Steps'. The centre is a 3 1/2 inch square and the logs were cut 2 inches wide. the finished block is 12 inches.
There were 5 blocks submitted for the lottery. My name was drawn, but since I won last month, I asked them to draw again and let another win.
Work on the bird quilt is coming along. I stuck my hand in the bag and pulled out the Pheasant block. It was mostly pieced, so I did the final seam joining the tail section to the bird. It still needed feet. Those are made from ultra suede. I tried a few methods of transferring the cutting lines to the suede. scribbling chalk on the underneath of the pattern and then tracing the lines left a big mess. Finally I made another copy of the pattern, pinned it to the top of the suede and using contrast thread I sewed along the outside edge of the lines. Then I cut along the stitching, removed the extra threads, and voila, really neat feet. I even put the eye on the bird. In fact I got so carried away that all three blocks I've done now have eyes. yippee.
5 additional blocks were submitted by members of my local guild (these are from the hand-piecing class that we held in February). There are a few more coming, so looks like we'll have about 20 of them for our community project next year.
Come back next week to see which bird block I'm working on.