After cleaning off the dining room table last week, I decided to stay focused and only brought the bird quilt back out. I am going to try and keep to it and work on the sashing. Each block gets a unique treatment, almost like doing 12 little quilts and then butting them all together.
The chickadee was quite straight forward and I needed that to make me feel like I had accomplished something. I cut strips 1 1/4 inch wide of both the blue (which was the background from one of the other blocks) and the light (which is really 3 different mostly white/cream prints). The strips when then sewn together and re cut to 1 1/4 x 2 3/4 inch bits that were sewn together to make the two sashing units. Then I had to add a 1 inch strip of the dark mottled looking print to make the measurement for the final unit fit.
The cardinal block is next. The 3 trees and the 2 little cardinals were paper pieced using scraps from the bird blocks. The sashing to the left and to the bottom will feature holly leaves and berries. These will overlap with the neighbouring blocks. For now all you can see are their embroiders vines/branches. I have the holly leaves basted to freezer paper and have pinned them in place and am ready to start the hand applique. Will show you my progress next week.
Tomorrow I meet with my local bee for stitching and coffee. I'll update them on this project. I showed them the blocks last month and they really enjoyed them.