As I told you, I cleared out my sewing room to turn it into a bedroom for my niece. While doing that I came across heaps of 'trimmings' from previous quilt projects. They all are now stashed into one of three boxes. This week I started cutting these up. Well, that led to a wee bit of sewing to see how things might look if they were turned into a quilt.
I started with my Marti Michell templates and cut, cut, cut. Using Marti's Encyclopedia of Patchwork Blocks: Volume 2, I cut and pieced this "Wheels" block. The diagonal vanes are all green even though they don't look that colour. I really like the block, but it's only 6" and will take ages to make them. I am going to keep cutting, but I might turn it into a kit for my mom. Wall hanging size I think, or add in plain setting squares and it will grow quicker.
Next I moved on to some oriental fabric strips I had left from another project. That was a Bento Box quilt. I chose the pattern "Attic Fans" and cut away. I pieced these three blocks to see how it looks. I rather like the effect. Will probably make 9 of these 6" blocks and make a nice wallhanging.
From the oriental fabrics that were too small for the "Attic Fans" I cut them into strips and started piecing log cabin style. This one block measures about 6 1/2 x 9". I am going to try and find a gold tone metal buckle/pendent and stitch that on and turn it into a small wallhanging. Both these will look good in the room that I am going to use the quilt in once it's finished. Someday. Perfect size to fill that small little wall beside a door or window.
Years ago I started a 'Stack and Whack'. Even attended a class so I could learn proper techniques. I got the top sewn and that was it. Beyond my abilities to quilt it at that point. It hasn't seen light of day in years. So pretty. what a shame. I came across the ends of the strips from that project and they happened to be large enough to cut using the templates.
There are 4 sets of 4 of the weird kite shape, so four 6" block. There are also 24 of the peaky sets shown. I have ordered some fabrics to use for the missing triangles and sashing/boarders. Hope to show you that next week. Again, another wallhanging that will go with the original quilt. Someday. Next photo shows how the four kite shapes will go together.
I was listening to an audio book while cutting. I did help the time pass more quickly. I wish I had picked a more lively book. I am listening to Moby Dick by Herman Melville. It is very long , 23 hours, and the fellow is rather verbose. I can't keep track of how many times I've lost track of the story. I don't back track as I figure I'll get caught up at some point and figure out what's going on.
I also attended a knitting show in Kitchener on the weekend. I managed to keep my purchases down to supplies for two projects. yippee. Well, I did buy some patterns as well. These will be revealed when I actually start working on one of them.