- Add fresh herbs just prior to serving.
- When you freeze a soup with potato, the texture of the potato will become mushy. Long potatoes, which are great for mashing, will break down somewhat in soup, whereas smaller, round potatoes, which are great for boiling, will tend to retain their shape. Check the Ontario Foodland site for additional potato hints.
- If you are purchasing pre-made brooth, carefully read the label. New 'no-sodium added' brooths, are available, though some have much more sodium than others. Most that I have checked contain gluten.
- A stick type or immersion blender is a safe way to puree vegetables, if you use a blender, only put one cup of hot ingredients in the blender container at a time and secure the lid before starting the machine.
- If your recipe calls for added salt, don't add the salt. Let each diner taste their bowl of soup and let them add salt at that time if required.
Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup
Mediterranean Beef Barley Stew (it becomes soup if you put in less barley)
Leek and Potato Soup
Do you have a soup recipe that you love. Enter it below in Mr. Linky. For name, put the name of the soup, followed by your name: ie: Potato and Leek, Heather. It doesn't have to be a recent post. If you don't generally put recipes on your blog, please send me a private email at (heatherdpear at hotmail dot com) with the recipe attached. I'll leave Mr. Linky open for at least two weeks. Be sure to leave a comment as I will be printing those out and passing them along to my parents.
I will be printing out all the recipes and putting them in a binder for easy usage. In case you are wondering, the only ingredient that dad doesn't like is red and green peppers. Thank-you for your help with this project.