Chocolate for dessert always works well for me. It was no different at the ENDURrun races this summer. My neighbour Julie made at least two
amazing addictive dishes. I was asked several times if I could provide the recipes, and she was kind enough to agree.
- Line a greased cookie sheet with salted soda crackers.
- bring to a boil: 1 cup (½ lb) butter and 1 cup sugar (white or brown). stir until well mixed.
- pour butter mixture over crackers. Spread evenly.
- Bake in 350° oven for approximately 15 minutes. Watch it closely to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and spread a package of milk chocolate chips over the top. Spread evenly
- Top with flaked almonds (optional). Place in freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Twist pan until loose. Break into small pieces.
Peanut Butter Squares
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 ¼ cups icing sugar
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
Melt butter and peanut butter together in a small pot, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add icing sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Grease 9”x9” pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Heat in 200º oven for 5 minutes to soften chocolate. Spread chocolate evenly over the top. Cool in fridge.
After about ½ hour in the fridge, cut into squares, then place back in fridge to harden. This prevents the squares from breaking when you try to cut them when they’re cold.
Candy Bar Dessert
4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
1 cup butter, melted
Mix together and press into 13x9 inch pan. Chill.
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups thawed cool whip (1 litre)
10-12 crushed candy bars (skor, crispy crunch)
3 cups cold milk
2 packages chocolate jello instant pudding
Mix cream cheese and sugar. Gently stir in 1/2 of the cool whip. Spread evenly over crust.
Sprinkle candy bar pieces over cream cheese layer. Let sit.
Pour milk into bowl, add pudding. Beat together as instructed on the package.
Pour over chopped candy bar layer. Sit until thickened.
Spread remaining cool whip over pudding. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm Garnish with additional chopped candy bars.
Additional recipes from the ENDURrun are found at this link (lots of hummus varieties).
For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking Post. Beth invites you to add a link to your recent food related post.